Sunday 3 January 2016

Arriving in Bangkok

Having sneezed off all my mascara to Aladdin and sideways watching a Bollywood version of Pitch Perfect courtesy of Mr 32E, my intermittently crippling fear of planes crashing in water subsided and my nerves calmed as Dairylea triangles came onto the scene. GG, Oman Air. 



Layover in Muscat greatly improved by Bedouin style tent in which to crash



16 hours of planes later and I'd landed in Bangkok at 7pm with 3 new spots and 1 completely deaf ear. After running from pillar to post being told I do need a visa and no I don't need a visa, it turns out I don't and it's off to passport control. Subsequently chose the slowest line in existence and felt like a mother who has just realised she's left the kid at swimming as I took the title of 'Last Bag On The Carousel'. OH WELL. Got the bag, which was not a certainty, so quids in and let's go!



Adding mileage to trusty Ginge

That was the case, until the ATM swallowed my card. Turns out it was completely unreasonable to expect HSBC to set my card to active overseas - the web form and 2 phone calls to confirm must have slipped under the radar. Picked up a security guard who looked genuinely disturbed by my hair which had already applied for its own postcode, and proceeded to run around the airport for 45 minutes to get someone to open the machine. 

Cue man with bat.

I shit you not, another security guard turned up with a bat. Finally, my kind of people! Joined the taxi queue avoiding looking at the somewhat dented side of the ATM but with cash in hand, and the Benny Hill sponsored arrival was complete. 

Jumped in my taxi and, despite being told he would go on the meter turns out it's a flat rate of 500 baht (bullshit but I was just too tired to care), finally got moving again. 3"bumper cuddles" later and I arrived at the frankly heavenly Lub-D in Siam Square. Excited, but mostly exhausted, that the adventure has begun!



#glam

Health: 1 deaf ear, 3 new spots, approx 3kg sweat, generally gross. 
Food: "Tasty dodgy? Naaa drink coke all good!" - more to come in this week's food update!
Accommodation: Lub-D Siam Square - review in progress, check back on 4/1/16!

No comments:

Post a Comment