Saturday 23 January 2016

Knee Deep and Not Breathing

One of the key things about taking good photographs is patience. Waiting to set up the photo, waiting for all the elements to be in the right light or position, and then waiting for the subject to actually do something.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of patience. (I can see my Mum's eyebrows raised and lips pursed in the classic "Mmmhm, good one Sherlock")

So when I went to the amazing Sabah Heritage Village and saw a gorgeous red dragonfly/pretty thing, I knew it would make for a lovely photo. If only (shuffle to the left)... I could get it (crouch down) ... Right. 

Wrong focus. 
Angle too wide.
No focus at all.
Too far away.
Zoom too grainy.
Too shaky.
Dammit, Pedro - get your shit together! 

I gave it another go. Crouching down, leaning forwards, looking straight at the screen, so zoomed in that if I looked away I'd lose the beauty entirely. Small, shuffling steps. Keeping red in view. Small, shuffling steps. Keeping red in view. Small... shuffling... WHOOOMP!


Straight down and knee deep in a soft, squishy, disturbingly moist pit of dark, dark matter. But then there it was, pretty red had fluttered to the end of the branch and it was the perfect set up. So, like any idiot brandishing a camera whilst knee deep in suspect materials, I held my breath, steadied the camera, and took the shot.

"Beauuuuutiful lady, can we have a photo?" 

I turned around to see two teenage Malaysian boys in snapbacks and skinny jeans (it's 38 degrees, what are you doing?!) holding their phones in hand, moving towards me, and looking hopeful.

Really? I am quite literally knee deep in shit, and I don't even know what kind of shit, and you want a photo with this? Huh. Fine, OK, just hang on a - wait what? 

You're climbing INTO the shit pile for this photo? 
Could we not have all just gotten out of the shit? 
No? 
Ok. 

So there we were. Me and two Malaysian 14 year old boys, knee deep in shit, taking a selfie.

Nope, I don't get it either. But I did get the photo:

Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment