Tuesday 12 January 2016

Bangkok street food - a lasting love!

Most people cover Bangkok within 1-3 days before escaping to other areas of Thailand. I stayed for a whole week and, apart from my love for all the Wats, it was down to the food. Thai food is completely different to anything I've ever had before, essentially mastering the art of taking a very healthy dish, deep frying it, and creating a heavenly bundle of light tasting deliciousnessosity. Here are some of my highlights! 

My first dish in Thailand was from a magnificent street market in Siam Square. Deep fried chicken and veg on sweet toast opened the door to an absolute winner winner of a chicken dinner. I also cracked open my first ever fresh coconut and, whilst impressive and idyllic, it turns out that I don't like coconut milk. Regardless, the look of them can't be faulted!

LOOK AT THAT BOWL OF CHILLI SAUCE. MY EYES ARE BURNING FROM HERE.


These little crepes were the highlight of my street food week: fried quails egg, diced crispy pork, and a shot of oyster sauce wrapped up in a sweet crepe. Absolutely incredible, and only 6 baht each! I cleared the poor lady out by taking 7 of the masterpieces and I was a very, very happy camper. 



Woman behind me looks appropriately concerned
A trip down Khao San Road resulted in me running after a lady baring a tray of scorpions on a stick in order to complete a challenge set by my boyfriend at home. Can confirm: Thai cooked scorpions taste mostly like soy sauce and bad decisions, with the texture of an unpopped popcorn kernel. Best eaten quickly with minimal thought - I took the claws and tail first approach!



One of my favourite experiences was definitely the incredible seafood buffet at the ferry stand between Wat Pho and Wat Arun. Everything you have ever wanted which comes from the sea was on offer, stacked up and then grilled fresh in front of your eyes! It had the atmosphere of a crustacean and Cephalopod stock market as the stall owners shouted out their options! I stocked up on a plate of the largest prawns I have ever consumed and a stick of crispy egg wonton for the boat ride over and can confidently say I was the happiest person on that boat.

Blurry due to excitement at excessive seafood


Dubious.
"Taste strange? Drink Cola" - wise but unnerving words from the seller of this Thai BBQ pork and fried rice combo. 




















Top: Pomegranate juice (aka bloody lifesaver); Left: Durian, the smell of Bangkok and
an instant Marmite Moment; Right: Rice parcels wrapped in banana leaves and string
A stumble through Chinatown is a must for any food lover, but prepare to get completely and utterly lost between the baskets of dried squid and the mid-pickling cabbages. Food here is definitely Chinese-Thai fusion and there are a lot of pop-up canteens rather than just standalone food stalls.
Top Left: Roast duck; Middle Left: Dried squid by the box;
Bottom Left: cooking for a communal canteen; Right: bowls of fresh and raw seafood


One thing which I did not photograph but should have is the most amazing banana crepe ever created. The size of my head, that parcel of joy and light was gobbled before I had even thought about immortalising it! What a shame, I'll have to get another when I go back through Bangkok again. For journalistic purposes, of course. Two classics here though are sticky mango chicken skewers and Tom Yum fried rice which is a seafood fried rice with shrimps and squid rings! Packs a punch though WHHEEW.

Nope, couldn't and wouldn't wait for a photo before nomming

Having firmly established my love for Thai food, I took a day to learn how to make Thai dishes and the work behind pairing spices and sauces to get the perfect Thai taste. You can read about it here, and these are some of the dishes I made! Hands down favourite was the Massaman curry (aka Thai yellow curry) for being so sweet and flavourful without excessive heat (I'm a wimp, but an appreciative wimp) and the Spring rolls just for the sizzle in the wok!

Before coming to Thailand I had never consciously chosen to eat Thai food - I didn't know what it was, and somehow I had the idea that the classic Thai Green Curry was a watery soupy type thing. Not uncommonly, I was completely and utterly wrong and I have definitely fallen head over heels for Thai food! Anyone invited for dinner upon my return, please see the above for your menu options. 

Chilli paste and love!

K

No comments:

Post a Comment